Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's good to be home

Home at last! I spent a few days-boring days I might add, in the BIG city. I've always found the city a melancholic place to be in. I finished the things I needed to oversee early, and I found myself without nothing to do. How ironic is that? I was in the city that had everything!

My day started out rather nice. It had stopped raining, so with coffee in hand, I took a walk around. I always feel at peace here. I spend my weekdays in our house in the city(not the BIG city I was talking about) but this is where home is for me. Much of the highlights of my childhood were spent here. The memories I have were either with my great grandfather-he started this farm or with my young aunts and uncles. Life is simple here. To get what you need, you'd have to work for it. If you wanted fresh organic fruits and vegies, you'd have to plant them. If you wanted water, you'd have to work on the water pump. We did have an electric pump but electricity is a problem here: there isn't a week that goes by without a black out, that lasts for half a day.

When I went back in the house, I was feeling a liitle euphoric that I wanted to write. But just as I was about to , the electricity went out. I've just recently learned that life is all about making choices. If I chose to brood about not having electricity, my day would be ruined. I chose not to, so I busied myself with the morning chores that needed to be done. The hired help do not come on Sundays, so it was just me and my lola. I did the dishes-first cleaning the dirty kitchen and working with the water pump so I could stock-up the water I would need. My lola went about feeding the animals. It was good bonding for both of us. It's only been a while that I reconnected with her-due to my problem and all the sad things that had happened to me. Of all the people who would understand me most, it would be her. She encourages me to continue writing. When I'm a bit depressed about my writing she reminds me that I'm just starting, I'm still young and I have a lot to learn. I blame myself for not giving any attention to writing for the last eight years. My fourteen-year old cousin writes well and has already written a novel. I should have started when I was in high school. But as they say, better late than never.

My lola and I had lunch together. We had fresh fish and vegies. I ate plenty, which was very unlikely because of my bad eating habits lately. My lola was happy I did, I am too. It got me to thinking about the reason I eat plenty when I'm here. I know it's not the dishes we cook here because we usually have the same dishes in the city. Maybe, it is because I am happy here. I feel good about myself, and when I do, I feel my life has meaning. It motivates me to eat.

After lunch, there was still no electricity so I decided to write my copies the old fashioned way: in pen and paper. Two hours after:here I am, still writing, with David Benoit and Yanni on my playlist....

1 comment:

Ern Banawa said...

Drat! Couldnt start yakking in here. Writing non-stop for months burnt me out. What should i say to you, but to say that I'm happy for you that you are able to surpass your depression. I'm happy too because of one thing. What it is i will just keep to myself . In spite of what happened to us and even if we can no longer bring back the past, I do still love you. I may seem not to care. But i do. Kaya pag makasama tayo lagi akong galit kasi di ko mapigil where to point the blame. But it's over now. New chapter na nga. I'll get in touch with you when I no longer feel the pain. And please, if you are going to write something about this comment just say it here in this blog, write it here and not on the other one. You deserve something more wonderful for you are the lil feather that i knew. take care. You're beautiful, its true, sabi nga ng kanta ni james blunt. Masaya rin ako kasi nagblablog ka na. Eto lang masaya na ko, sa yo at sa akin. ~yurigligoric waves his hand to lil feather to say see you soon when all the dust has settled.