Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Traumatic Experience

I spent the last four days sleeping, just waking up to eat what I would call-missionary food. My meals were either ice cream, noodles, Nido Oriental Soup w/o egg and oatmeal.

When I woke up this morning I was feeling a little better so i decided to finally show up at the office.

I'm 24 and four days ago, I had my wisdom (wizzie) tooth extracted. I was pretty anxious to had it removed since the surgery had been moved twice, first by my dentist and the second time by me after an unexpected monthly period.

The operation did not go as I had imagined it and I realized, however independent I am and how old I am, I will always turn to my mom for comfort. My dentist made it as painless as possible but given that it was a wizzie extraction, the pain was excruciating. Just before my dentist started to pull the tooth, she told me to signal if I felt any pain I could not handle. After many attempts, my jaw felt like it was going to come off so I signalled I was in too much pain. She gave me another dose of anesthesia and proceeded to extract my tooth again. The second dose was no help and I couldn't help but shiver how much pain I would have been in w/o it. When the tooth came off, I felt like my whole left upper molars were all extracted.

My body was shaking from the stress and my mom holding my cheeks helped a bit. I could not wait till she finished with the stitch. She did one, just to keep the socket closed and told me she need not take it off. On my way home, I felt like crying if not for the 1 gallon of chocolate ice cream that my mom bought for me. When I arrived home, I tried to sleep but was too disturbed thinking about what I just went through. That night, I was disturbed that there was blood in my saliva and the whole wizzie area was swollen. I was afraid of the bleeding and what was worse was that I could not swallow my saliva coz it hurt every time my tongue moved. I was not allowed to spit since it my cause my blog clot to dislodge. I really felt like shouting and crying but thought better not to. Shouting would only make my jaw hurt more and I couldn't even open my mouth to two centimeters wide. At 2 am when I couldn't take any more pain, I finally gave up and took painkillers and a medicine that helped with blood clot. It was silly of me to think I could stand the pain. I have ulcers and I practically had nothing but ice cream after the surgery. The next few days was pretty much the same. I slept to avoid feeling the pain but I took my painkillers (which was anti inflammatory) anyway since ice did not really do much in keeping the swelling down. Looking back, I was depressed the whole four days and I could not wait to go back to sleep again after I ate. It did not help that my boyfriend was very busy. It did not help that I had no one to talk to at all.

I never wanted to go back to my dentist but now (after four days) that I feel less pain (despite that it was still swollen) and I can open my mouth wider, I'm excited to finally get my upper and lower ortho appliance. Its a good thing that my upcoming wedding nudged me to have my braces earlier as planned. Couldn't imagine how much pain I would have been if I'd had my surgery done without my mom. I guess no matter how old you are or whether you are married or not, you'll always turn to mom for a small amount of comfort. After all, she took care of me for 16 years...(should be 20 but the four years I spent at college would not count.hehehe)

My advice for those who need to get their wizzie extracted. Go ahead with the operation but please do it on a friday, this was you have the weekend to rest. And take your mom with you...

No comments: